Omidyar Network Fund, Inc.

Introduction

The Omidyar Network Fund, Inc. (“the foundation”) is the non-profit arm of Omidyar Network, a global network of innovators, entrepreneurs, technologists, advocates, investors, activists and organisations committed to addressing the most critical economic, technological and societal issues of our time. Omidyar Network, including the foundation, was established in 2004 by the eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam.

Omidyar Network’s areas of work benefiting developing countries mainly include: Digital Identity, Education and Property Rights. In 2018, the foundation’s Governance & Citizen Engagement Initiative (civic empowerment, data and digital rights, financial transparency, and independent media) became Luminate, a global philanthropic organisation under the Omidyar Network umbrella.

The foundation has been sharing its disbursement data with the OECD Development Co-operation Directorate since 2018. For charts and analyses using commitment data, gross disbursements are used as a proxy for commitments.

Private development finance

In 2017, the Omidyar Network Fund provided USD 57.1 million in private development finance. Programme-related investments (common equity and shares in collective investment vehicles) amounted to USD 4.9 million (8.6%), and the remaining 91.4% consisted of standard grants.

Share
        

All of the foundation’s funding was provided bilaterally. However, 3.6% of the total was implemented by multilateral organisations (multi-bi/non-core contributions).

Share
        
Share
        

In 2017, 59.3% (USD 33.9 million) of the foundation’s activities was channelled to/through civil society organisations (CSOs) and USD 11.2 million (19.6%) to/through universities, colleges or other teaching institutions, research institutes or think tanks. USD 6.3 million (11.1%) was channelled through other private sector entities. See the methodological notes for further details on channels of delivery.

Share
        
Share
        

In 2017, the Omidyar Network Fund’s financing mainly targeted south of Sahara Africa (USD 8.5 million, 14.9%) and South and Central Asia (USD 8.3 million, 14.5%).

Share
        

In 2017, 32.4% of the Omidyar Network Fund’s activities was concentrated on its top 10 recipients. Support to fragile contexts reached USD 2.2 million in 2017 (3.9% of gross bilateral funding).

Share
        
Share
        

In 2017, 1% of the Omidyar Network Fund’s financing (USD 563 thousand) was allocated to the least developed countries (LDCs). Lower middle-income countries received the highest share of the foundation’s financing in 2017 (17.5%), followed by upper middle-income countries (13.4%), noting that 67.3% was unallocated by income group.

Share
        

In 2017, 76% of the foundation’s activities was allocated to social infrastructure and services, for a total of USD 43.4 million, with a focus on government and civil society and education. Moreover, 20.4% (USD 11.7 million) was allocated to economic infrastructure and services, particularly in support of banking and financial services.

Share
        

Additional resources

Omidyar Network Fund: https://www.omidyar.com/offices

Luminate: https://luminategroup.com

Role of philanthropy in financing for development: www.oecd.org/development/financing-sustainable-development/development-finance-standards/beyond-oda-foundations.htm

OECD CRS database, Private philanthropy for development: https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=DV_DCD_PPFD

Reporting to the OECD since 2018.

End of the section – Back to iLibrary publication page