copy the linklink copied!Michael & Susan Dell Foundation

copy the linklink copied!Introduction

The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation is Michael & Susan Dell’s family foundation. The foundation was established in 1999 inspired by their passion for children and by a shared desire to transform the lives of children living in urban poverty. The foundation is based in Austin, Texas, United States and has offices in both India and South Africa.

The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation has been sharing its disbursement data with the OECD Development Co-operation Directorate since 2018. The data include the foundation’s grant making, direct charitable activities, as well as programme-related investments. For charts and analyses using commitment data, gross disbursements are used as a proxy for commitments.

copy the linklink copied!Private development finance

In 2017, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation provided USD 31.1 million in private development finance. Programme-related investments (standard loans, common equity and shares in collective investment vehicles) amounted to USD 11.1 million (35.7%). The remaining 64.3% consisted of standards grants.

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

All of the foundation’s funding was provided bilaterally. However, 3.6% of the total was implemented by multilateral organisations (multi-bi/non-core contributions).

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!
Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

In 2017, USD 9.7 million (31.0%) of the foundation’s activities was channelled to/through civil society organisations (CSOs) and USD 3.1 million (9.9%) to/through universities, colleges or other teaching institutions, research institutes or think tanks. Moreover, USD 11.7 million (37.5%) was channelled through other private sector entities. See the methodological notes for further details on channels of delivery.

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!
Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

In 2017, the foundation’s financing was primarily focused on Asia and Africa. USD 21.0 million (67.3%) was allocated to South and Central Asia and USD 10.2 million (32.7%) to south of Sahara Africa.

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

In 2017, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation distributed all of its financing amongst three countries. Support to fragile contexts reached USD 0.1 million in 2017 (0.2%).

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!
Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

In 2017, 0.2% of the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation’s funding (USD 50 000) was allocated to the least developed countries (LDCs). Lower middle-income countries received the highest share of the foundation’s funding in 2017 (67.3%), followed by upper middle-income countries (32.6%).

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

In 2017, 88.5% of the foundation’s financing was allocated to social infrastructure and services, for a total of USD 27.7 million, with a distinguished focus on education, and 11.5% (USD 3.6 million) to economic infrastructure and services, particularly in support of banking and financial services.

Share

Embed code for this view

Copy code
Code copied!

copy the linklink copied!Additional resources

Michael & Susan Dell Foundation: https://www.msdf.org

Role of philanthropy in financing for development: www.oecd.org/development/financing-sustainable-development/development-finance-standards/beyond-oda-foundations.htm

OECD CRS database, Private philanthropy for development: https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=DV_DCD_PPFD

Reporting to the OECD since 2018.

Metadata, Legal and Rights

https://doi.org/10.1787/2dcf1367-en

© OECD 2019

You can copy, download or print OECD content for your own use, and you can include excerpts from OECD publications, databases and multimedia products in your own documents, presentations, blogs, websites and teaching materials, provided that suitable acknowledgement of OECD as source and copyright owner is given. All requests for public or commercial use and translation rights should be submitted to [email protected]. Requests for permission to photocopy portions of this material for public or commercial use shall be addressed directly to the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) at [email protected] or the Centre français d’exploitation du droit de copie (CFC) at [email protected].