Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2019

image of Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2019

This annual report monitors and evaluates agricultural policies spanning all 6 continents, including the 36 OECD countries, the 5 non-OECD EU Member States, and 12 emerging economies. It is a unique source of up-to date estimates of support to agriculture using a comprehensive system of measuring and classifying support to agriculture – the Producer and Consumer Support Estimates (PSEs and CSEs), the General Services Support Estimate (GSSE) and related indicators – which provide insight into the increasingly complex nature of agricultural policy and serve as a basis for OECD’s agricultural policy monitoring and evaluation. Comprehensive country chapters and the Statistical Annex containing detailed background tables with indicators of agricultural support are available in electronic form at the publication website.

English Also available in: French

Costa Rica

Costa Rica’s policies to support agricultural producers generated an average of just 6% of gross farm receipts (%PSE) in 2016-18. This support is almost entirely (94%) based on Market Price Support (MPS), generated through border measures (tariffs) and minimum reference price. Products most supported through the MPS policies include rice, poultry, pig meat and sugar. The remaining support is provided through input subsidies for fixed capital formation and payments for environmental services. Support to producers (PSE) was the largest component of the Total Support Estimate (TSE) to agriculture in 2016-18 accounting for 80% of the total; the remaining 20% was based on financing general services to the sector (GSSE). Expenditures on GSSE accounted for 80% of total budgetary allocations to agriculture in 2016-18; of which 98% was allocated in three main areas: agricultural knowledge and innovation system, particularly extension services; development and maintenance of infrastructure; and inspection and control.

English Also available in: French



This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error