Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2019

image of Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2019

This annual report monitors and evaluates agricultural policies spanning all 6 continents, including the 36 OECD countries, the 5 non-OECD EU Member States, and 12 emerging economies. It is a unique source of up-to date estimates of support to agriculture using a comprehensive system of measuring and classifying support to agriculture – the Producer and Consumer Support Estimates (PSEs and CSEs), the General Services Support Estimate (GSSE) and related indicators – which provide insight into the increasingly complex nature of agricultural policy and serve as a basis for OECD’s agricultural policy monitoring and evaluation. Comprehensive country chapters and the Statistical Annex containing detailed background tables with indicators of agricultural support are available in electronic form at the publication website.

English Also available in: French

South Africa

South Africa reduced its support to agriculture during the reforms of the mid-1990s and support to farms has remained below 5% of gross farm receipts since 2010. In 2016-18, support to agriculture was around 3% of gross farm receipts. Total support estimate to agriculture (TSE) was around 0.3% of GDP in 2016-18 and direct support to farms (PSE) represented around 65% of the total support, the remaining 35% financing general services to the sector.

English Also available in: French



This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error