Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2018

image of Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2018

This report is the 31st in the series of OECD reports that monitor and evaluate agricultural policies across countries, and the 6th report to include all 35 OECD countries, the 6 non-OECD EU Member States and a set of emerging economies: Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Kazakhstan, the Philippines, the Russian Federation, South Africa, Ukraine and Viet Nam. This annual report is a unique source of up-to-date estimates of support to agriculture and uses a comprehensive system of measuring and classifying support to agriculture – the Producer and Consumer Support Estimates (PSEs and CSEs), the General Services Support Estimate (GSSE) and related indicators. These estimates provide insight into the increasingly complex nature of agricultural policy and serve as a basis for OECD’s agricultural policy monitoring and evaluation. Detailed data and documentation for the calculation of support are available on line www.oecd.org/agriculture/PSE.

Comprehensive country chapters and the Statistical Annex containing detailed background tables with indicators of agricultural support are available in electronic form at the publication website http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/agr_pol-2018-en.

English Also available in: French

Costa Rica

Costa Rica’s support to farmers was 8% of gross farm receipts (%PSE) in 2015-17. While this is less than a half of the OECD average, the support is almost entirely (96%) based on Market Price Support (MPS), one of the most production and trade distorting forms of support. Products with the highest MPS include rice, poultry, pig meat and sugar. The remaining 4% of support is provided mainly through input subsidies for fixed capital formation and payments for environmental services. Support to farmers (PSE) was the largest component of the Total Support Estimate (TSE) to agriculture in 2015-17 accounting for 82% of the total; the remaining 18% was based financing general services to the sector (GSSE). However, expenditures on GSSE accounted for 85% of budgetary expenditure to agricultures in 2015-17.

English Also available in: French



This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error