- 2073-7009 (online)
Working papers from the Regional Development Policy Division of the OECD cover a full range of topics including regional statistics and analysis, urban governance and economics, rural governance and economics, and multi-level governance. Depending on the programme of work, the papers can cover specific topics such as regional innovation and networks, the determinants of regional growth or fiscal consolidation at the sub-national level.
Urbanisation and Green Growth in China
Click to Access:
- 17 May 2013
- Bibliographic information
This working paper assesses national policy and governance mechanisms that can influence green growth in Chinese cities. It applies the OECD conceptual framework for urban green growth to examine the potential challenges and opportunities for increasing economic growth through reducing the environmental impact of urban land use, transport and buildings; through improving water and air quality; and through fostering supply and demand of green products and services. The paper first situates the issue of green growth within the nexus of urbanisation and environmental challenges now facing China. This is followed by a review of environmental and quality of life challenges posed by rapid urbanisation. Opportunities for national policies to influence green growth in four key urban policy sectors are then examined. The paper concludes with an assessment of governance challenges and considers potential changes to facilitate economic growth while reducing the environmental impact of cities.
- energy efficiency, cities, sustainable development, climate change, attractiveness, urban sustainability, multi-level governance, China, urban development, metro-region, green technologies, green economy, transport, green cities, innovation, green growth, renewable energy, regional clusters
- JEL Classification:
- O18: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Economic Development / Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis ; Housing ; Infrastructure
- O44: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity / Environment and Growth
- Q01: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / General / Sustainable Development
- Q55: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Environmental Economics / Technological Innovation
- Q58: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Environmental Economics / Government Policy
- R11: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / General Regional Economics / Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Regional Government Analysis / Regional Development Planning and Policy