- 2073-7009 (online)
Working papers from the Regional Development Policy Division of the OECD cover a full range of topics including regional statistics and analysis, urban governance and economics, rural governance and economics, and multi-level governance. Depending on the programme of work, the papers can cover specific topics such as regional innovation and networks, the determinants of regional growth or fiscal consolidation at the sub-national level.
Cities and Green Growth: The Case of the Chicago Tri-State Metropolitan Area
Click to Access:
- 03 May 2013
- Bibliographic information
This working paper assesses opportunities and policies for green growth in the Chicago Tri-State Metropolitan Area. It first examines the Chicago metro-region's economic and environmental performance and potential constraints to regional growth, and identifies emerging regional specialisations in green products and services. This is followed by a review of sector-specific policies that can contribute to green jobs, green firms and urban attractiveness, with particular attention to energy-efficient buildings, the wind energy industry, public transportation, and the water and waste sectors. Finally, the working paper considers the role of workforce, innovation and governance policies, focusing on skill shortages and skill mismatches in the regional labour market, ways to make the most of the region's innovation assets, and opportunities for regional institutional co-ordination.
- green cities, green growth, metro-region, Wisconsin, transport, green economy, green technologies, cities, Illinois, energy efficiency, climate change, innovation, multi-level governance, renewable energy, Indiana, regional clusters, urban development, sustainable development, Milwaukee, urban sustainability, Chicago, attractiveness
- JEL Classification:
- O18: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Economic Development / Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis ; Housing ; Infrastructure
- O44: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity / Environment and Growth
- Q01: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / General / Sustainable Development
- Q55: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Environmental Economics / Technological Innovation
- Q58: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Environmental Economics / Government Policy
- R11: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / General Regional Economics / Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Regional Government Analysis / Regional Development Planning and Policy