- 1816-6873 (online)
To What Extent Are High-Quality Logistics Services Trade Facilitating?
Click to Access:
- Jane Korinek1, Patricia Sourdin2
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- 2: University of Adelaide, Australia
- 01 Mar 2011
- Bibliographic information
Trade logistics facilitate trade. Quality logistics services play an important role in facilitating the transportation of international trade in goods: inefficient logistics services impede trade by imposing an extra cost in terms of time as well as money. As developed nations shift from traditional manufacturing and agriculture and are increasingly engaging in international vertical specialization, the need for efficient logistics services becomes ever more important. High quality logistics services improve the competitiveness of a country’s exports by reducing the cost involved in transporting goods – especially for countries that are disadvantaged by being far from major markets. This paper investigates the role that trade logistics play in the volume and value of international trade and the extent to which poor quality logistics constitute a barrier to trade. It examines the different impact of logistics quality on goods that are transported by sea and by air. The differentiated impact of trade logistics such as infrastructure on low, middle and higher-income countries is analysed.
- trade facilitation, ports, freight forwarding, infrastructure, logistics, logistics competence, tracking and tracing, logistics services, air infrastructure, trade, trade policy working paper, border administration, transport infrastructure, trade logistics, customs procedures, trade costs
- JEL Classification:
- E6: Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics / Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- F0: International Economics / General
- F13: International Economics / Trade / Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations