- ISSN :
- 1816-6873 (online)
- DOI :
Show Abstract /
This series is designed to make available to a wider readership selected trade policy studies prepared for use within the OECD.
NB. No. 1 to No. 139 were released under the previous series title OECD Trade Policy Working Papers.
Taking Stock of Measures Restricting the Export of Raw Materials
Analysis of OECD Inventory DataClick to Access:
- Publication Date
- 05 Oct 2012
- Bibliographic information
Show Abstract /
Governments appear increasingly inclined to resort to border and domestic measures that restrict the export of raw materials. For industrial raw materials, the OECD is constructing an Inventory of measures that have been applied since 2009. The underlying survey covers some 100 countries, some 15 types of measures and most minerals, metals as well as wood. This paper analyses 2009-2010 data collected so far for the minerals and metals sector. It sets out with observations, based on the Inventory research, about policy transparency. What information about use of export restrictions do governments publish on their websites? The paper then proceeds with a descriptive statistical analysis of the Inventory data. What are the measures most frequently used? What are the most affected minerals and metals? What motivates governments to resort to export taxes or other measures? The analysis takes account of different stages of production and makes use of trade data to illustrate supply concentration patterns and trade affected by export restrictions.
Also available in: French
- inventory, aluminium, transparency, nickel, export taxes, minerals, metals, export prohibition, international trade, export measures, iron ore, exports, raw materials, export quotas, export restrictions, waste and scrap, export licensing
- JEL Classification:
- F1: International Economics / Trade
- F13: International Economics / Trade / Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- O24: Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth / Development Planning and Policy / Trade Policy; Factor Movement Policy; Foreign Exchange Policy
- Q3: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation
- Q37: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation / Issues in International Trade