- ISSN :
- 1816-6873 (online)
- DOI :
Show Abstract /
This series is designed to make available to a wider readership selected trade policy studies prepared for use within the OECD.
NB. No. 1 to No. 139 were released under the previous series title OECD Trade Policy Working Papers.
Mapping Global Value ChainsClick to Access:
- Publication Date
- 19 Dec 2013
- Bibliographic information
Show Abstract /
World trade and production are increasingly structured around "global value chains" (GVCs). The last few years have witnessed a growing number of case studies describing at the product level how production is internationally fragmented, but there is little evidence at the aggregate level on the prevalence of GVCs. The main objective of this paper is to provide for more and better evidence allowing the examination of countries’ position within international production networks. We propose a number of indicators that give a more accurate picture of the integration and position of countries in GVCs, as well as a more detailed assessment of the value chain in six broad industries: agriculture and food products, chemicals, electronics, motor vehicles, business services and financial services.
- JEL Classification:
- F14: International Economics / Trade / Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23: International Economics / International Factor Movements and International Business / Multinational Firms; International Business
- L16: Industrial Organization / Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance / Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics: Industrial Structure and Structural Change; Industrial Price Indices
- L23: Industrial Organization / Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior / Organization of Production