- 1816-6881 (online)
Environment and Regional Trade Agreements
Emerging Trends and Policy Drivers
- Clive George1
- Author Affiliations
- 1: University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- 25 July 2014
- Bibliographic information
Analysis of the environmental provisions in RTAs reveals an encouraging upward trend. While basic provisions remain the most common types found in RTAs, the incidence of more substantive provisions has increased significantly in recent years. Among these, environmental co-operation has been the most common type.
Several factors may have contributed to this evolution. These include countries extending their political mandates for RTAs, for example to include provisions for compliance with multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs), as well as a general accumulation of experience with the use of environmental provisions.
- free trade agreements, trade and environment, regional trade agreements, environmental provisions, trade policy
- JEL Classification:
- F13: International Economics / Trade / Trade Policy ; International Trade Organizations
- F18: International Economics / Trade / Trade and Environment
- N50: Economic History / Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment, and Extractive Industries / General, International, or Comparative
- Q56: Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics ; Environmental and Ecological Economics / Environmental Economics / Environment and Development ; Environment and Trade ; Sustainability ; Environmental Accounts and Accounting ; Environmental Equity ; Population Growth