OECD/G20 Base Erosion and Profit Shifting Project
- 2313-2612 (online)
- 2313-2604 (print)
Addressing base erosion and profit shifting is a key priority of governments around the globe. In 2013, OECD and G20 countries, working together on an equal footing, adopted a 15-point Action Plan to address BEPS. Beyond securing revenues by realigning taxation with economic activities and value creation, the OECD/G20 BEPS Project aims to create a single set of consensus-based international tax rules to address BEPS, and hence to protect tax bases while offering increased certainty and predictability to taxpayers. A key focus of this work is to eliminate double non-taxation. However in doing so, new rules should not result in double taxation, unwarranted compliance burdens or restrictions to legitimate cross-border activity.
Developing a Multilateral Instrument to Modify Bilateral Tax Treaties
- 16 Sep 2014
- 9789264219250 (PDF) ;9789264219243(print)
This report identifies the issues arising from the development of a multilateral instrument that modifies bilateral tax treaties. Without a mechanism for swift implementation, changes to model tax conventions only widen the gap between the content of these models and the content of actual tax treaties. Developing such a mechanism is necessary not only to tackle base erosion and profit shifting, but also to ensure the sustainability of the consensual framework to eliminate double taxation. This is an innovative approach with no exact precedent in the tax world, but precedents for modifying bilateral treaties with a multilateral instrument exist in various other areas of public international law. Drawing on the knowledge of experts in public international law and taxation, the Report concludes that a multilateral instrument is desirable and feasible, and that negotiations for such an instrument should be convened quickly.
- Neutralising the Effects of Hybrid Mismatch Arrangements
- Preventing the Granting of Treaty Benefits in Inappropriate Circumstances
- Guidance on Transfer Pricing Documentation and Country-by-Country Reporting
- Action Plan on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting
- Countering Harmful Tax Practices More Effectively, Taking into Account Transparency and Substance
- Addressing the Tax Challenges of the Digital Economy
- Guidance on Transfer Pricing Aspects of Intangibles
- Addressing Base Erosion and Profit Shifting