- 2073-7009 (en ligne)
Working papers from the Regional Development Policy Division of the OECD cover a full range of topics including regional statistics and analysis, urban governance and economics, rural governance and economics, and multi-level governance. Depending on the programme of work, the papers can cover specific topics such as regional innovation and networks, the determinants of regional growth or fiscal consolidation at the sub-national level.
The Effectiveness of Port-City Policies
A Comparative Approach
Cliquez pour accéder:
- Olaf Merk1, Thai-Thanh Dang
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- 16 déc 2013
- Bibliographic information
The relation between ports and their cities have evolved: it is no longer evident that well-functioning ports have automatically a net positive impact on the port-city. There are various trajectories and many ports and port-cities attempt to stimulate port-city development by a range of public policies. Yet, little is known about effectiveness of policies to promote performance of ports and port-cities. This paper aims at filling this gap, by assessing the effectiveness of port-city policies, within various policy areas including port development, port-city economic development, transportation, environment, research and development, spatial development and communication. This is done via a principal component analysis (PCA), based on a database constructed for the purpose of this paper with outcome variables and scores of policies for a set of 27 large world port-cities, that makes it possible to identify policies that are associated with effective policy outcomes and show patterns of related policy outcomes and policies.
- port-cities, principal component analysis, port development, policy evaluation, transportation
- Classification JEL:
- C38: Mathematical and Quantitative Methods / Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables / Classification Methods; Cluster Analysis; Principal Components; Factor Models
- L98: Industrial Organization / Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities / Government Policy
- R42: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Transportation Economics / Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning