- ISSN :
- 1816-6873 (en ligne)
- DOI :
Voir l'abstract /
This series is designed to make available to a wider readership selected trade policy studies prepared for use within the OECD.
NB. No. 1 to No. 139 were released under the previous series title OECD Trade Policy Working Papers.
Trade Facilitation Indicators
The Impact on Trade Costs
- Date de publication
- 22 août 2011
- Bibliographic information
Voir l'abstract /
This report presents the findings of the OECD indicators for assessing the economic and trade impact of specific trade facilitation measures in OECD countries. Twelve trade facilitation indicators (TFIs) have been constructed, corresponding to the main policy areas under negotiation at the WTO, with the aim to estimate the impact of addressing specific facilitation hurdles in the trade procedures of a given country. For OECD countries, the policy areas that seem to have the greatest impact on trade volumes and trade costs are advance rulings, information availability, formalities and procedures and inter-agency cooperation. If all TFIs are added their cost reduction potential would reach almost 10% of trade costs, which is an estimate consistent with existing literature. The use of individual trade facilitation indicators should enable countries to better assess which trade facilitation dimensions deserve priority. The OECD TFI project is now expanded to cover countries outside the OECD area.
- trade costs, simplification, customs, trade facilitation, trade flows, WTO, transparency
- Classification JEL:
- F13: International Economics / Trade / Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14: International Economics / Trade / Empirical Studies of Trade
- H83: Public Economics / Miscellaneous Issues / Public Administration; Public Sector Accounting and Audits
- L51: Industrial Organization / Regulation and Industrial Policy / Economics of Regulation