- ISSN :
- 1815-1973 (en ligne)
- DOI :
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
The Declining Competitiveness of French Firms Reflects a Generalised Supply-Side Problem
Cliquez pour accéder:
- Hervé Boulhol1, Patrizio Sicari1
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- 08 jan 2014
- Bibliographic information
- Pages :
- DOI :
This short paper analyses the decline of France’s trade balance over the past 15 years. While the loss in export market shares is comparable to that of the major OECD countries except Germany, it is one of the largest among the countries of the euro area. The determinants of this outcome seem to be general (rather than concentrated in the industrial sector) and related to overall supply-side weaknesses.
- France, manufacturing sector, profits, export shares, unit labour costs
- Classification JEL:
- E23: Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics / Consumption, Saving, Production, Investment, Labor Markets, and Informal Economy / Production
- E24: Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics / Consumption, Saving, Production, Investment, Labor Markets, and Informal Economy / Employment ; Unemployment ; Wages ; Intergenerational Income Distribution ; Aggregate Human Capital ; Aggregate Labor Productivity
- E31: Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics / Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles / Price Level ; Inflation ; Deflation
- F16: International Economics / Trade / Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- L25: Industrial Organization / Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior / Firm Performance: Size, Diversification, and Scope