- ISSN :
- 1815-1973 (online)
- DOI :
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
The Price Responsiveness of Housing Supply in OECD CountriesClick to Access:
- Aida Caldera Sánchez1, Åsa Johansson1
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- Publication Date
- 26 May 2011
- Bibliographic information
The responsiveness of housing supply to changes in prices bears important implications for the evolution of housing prices and the speed of adjustment of housing markets. This paper estimates the long-run price elasticity of new housing supply in 21 OECD countries based on a stock-flow model of the housing market estimated within an error correction framework. Estimates suggest that housing supply responsiveness to price changes varies substantially across countries. New housing supply is relatively more flexible in North America and some Nordic countries, while it is more rigid in continental European countries and in the United Kingdom. The responsiveness of housing supply depends not only on national geographical and urban characteristics but also on policies, such as land use and planning regulations. The estimates are broadly in line with the limited available evidence on the responsiveness of housing supply in OECD countries.
- housing market, housing supply, housing prices, land use regulation
- JEL Classification:
- H20: Public Economics / Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue / General
- R21: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Household Analysis / Housing Demand
- R23: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Household Analysis / Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population; Neighborhood Characteristics
- R31: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location / Housing Supply and Markets
- R38: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location / Government Policy; Regulatory Policy