- 1815-1973 (online)
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
Structural Reforms to Reduce Unemployment and Restore Competitiveness in Ireland
- Álvaro Pina
- 02 Dec 2011
- Bibliographic information
To tackle high and persistent unemployment and thus stave off social exclusion, Ireland needs to further pursue an integrated three-pillar strategy: welfare reform to ensure that work pays; better activation policies to assist labour reallocation across sectors; and a sustained restraint in wages and other business costs to restore international competitiveness. In particular, often building on recent policy initiatives or commitments, this paper recommends reforms to further enhance product-market competition, improve innovation efforts and ameliorate the quality of education, which are key to economic prosperity.
This Working Paper relates to the 2011 OECD Economic Survey of Ireland (www.oecd.org/eco/surveys/ireland).
- R&D, competitiveness, constant market share analysis, Ireland, technology transfer, education, unemployment, labour costs, activation policies, welfare system, electricity, international trade, competition
- JEL Classification:
- F10: International Economics / Trade / General
- F40: International Economics / Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance / General
- I28: Health, Education, and Welfare / Education and Research Institutions / Government Policy
- I38: Health, Education, and Welfare / Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty / Government Policy ; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- J52: Labor and Demographic Economics / Labor–Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining / Dispute Resolution: Strikes, Arbitration, and Mediation ; Collective Bargaining
- J64: Labor and Demographic Economics / Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers / Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J68: Labor and Demographic Economics / Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers / Public Policy
- L40: Industrial Organization / Antitrust Issues and Policies / General
- L94: Industrial Organization / Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities / Electric Utilities