- ISSN :
- 1815-1973 (online)
- DOI :
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
Sluggish Productivity Growth in Denmark
The Usual Suspects?Click to Access:
- Muge Adalet McGowan1, Stéphanie Jamet1
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- Publication Date
- 02 July 2012
- Bibliographic information
Despite sound policies and institutions, Danish productivity has grown modestly over the past decade, both historically and in relation to other countries, contributing to weak economic growth and an erosion in competitiveness. An examination of the four potential drivers of this puzzle, namely competition, education, labour market flexibility and the size of the public sector, shows that there is room for improvement in all areas, calling for action on each of these fronts. This Working Paper relates to the 2012 OECD Economic Survey of Denmark (www.oecd.org/eco/surveys/denmark).
- competition, employment protection legislation, employment, education, productivity, Denmark, growth, government size
- JEL Classification:
- D24: Microeconomics / Production and Organizations / Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H11: Public Economics / Structure and Scope of Government / Structure, Scope, and Performance of Government
- I25: Health, Education, and Welfare / Education and Research Institutions / Education and Economic Development
- J63: Labor and Demographic Economics / Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers / Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J80: Labor and Demographic Economics / Labor Standards: National and International / General
- O3: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights
- O4: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- O52: Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth / Economywide Country Studies / Europe