- ISSN :
- 1815-1973 (online)
- DOI :
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
Overcoming Vulnerabilities of Health Care SystemsClick to Access:
- Mauro Pisu1
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- Publication Date
- 03 July 2014
- Bibliographic information
This paper investigates the vulnerabilities of health care systems in OECD and BRIICS countries to adverse secular trends and large macroeconomic shocks. It identifies policies that can ally vulnerabilities considering the institutional setting of health care systems, such as the public-private mix and the main sources of revenues, and the need to balance economic sustainability with the adequacy of services.
- risk pooling, sustainability, macroeconomic shock, adequacy, health care system
- JEL Classification:
- I13: Health, Education, and Welfare / Health / Health Insurance, Public and Private
- I14: Health, Education, and Welfare / Health / Health and Inequality
- I15: Health, Education, and Welfare / Health / Health and Economic Development