- 1815-1973 (online)
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
Overcoming Skills Shortages in Canada
Click to Access:
- David Carey
- 15 July 2014
- Bibliographic information
Skills shortages have developed in certain fields and regions in recent years. Earnings premiums for people in some professions, notably health, engineering and skilled trades have increased. And vacancy rates have risen for skilled trades, with the increase being particularly large in Alberta and Saskatchewan. While reforms have been implemented to strengthen adjustment so as to overcome these shortages, there is still room to go further by improving labour market information, increasing responsiveness of the education and training system to labour market demand, making the immigration system more reactive to current labour market conditions and reducing regulatory barriers to inter-provincial labour mobility. This Working Paper relates to the 2014 OECD Economic Review of Canada (http://www.oecd.org/eco/surveys/economic-survey-canada.htm).
Also available in French
- skills shortages, apprenticeships, earnings premiums, inter-provincial mobility, employment insurance, high-skilled immigrants, vacancy rates
- JEL Classification:
- J08: Labor and Demographic Economics / General / Labor Economics Policies
- J15: Labor and Demographic Economics / Demographic Economics / Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants ; Non-labor Discrimination
- J24: Labor and Demographic Economics / Demand and Supply of Labor / Human Capital ; Skills ; Occupational Choice ; Labor Productivity
- J31: Labor and Demographic Economics / Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs / Wage Level and Structure ; Wage Differentials
- J6: Labor and Demographic Economics / Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers