- ISSN :
- 1815-1973 (online)
- DOI :
Show Abstract /
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
Is There Convergence of Russia's Regions?
Exploring the Empirical Evidence: 1995–2010
- Publication Date
- 06 Aug 2013
- Bibliographic information
Show Abstract /
This paper analyses convergence in per capita gross regional product of Russia’s regions during the period 1995-2010, when regional data are available. Using a panel regression framework we find no evidence for beta-convergence. Instead we find divergence, which is, however, attenuated over time. Robustness checks that use regional real income instead of gross regional product confirm this outcome as do non-parametric estimates of convergence, namely estimates using Markov transition probability matrices and stochastic kernel plots of regional relative income. Decompositions of regional income and gross regional product also find no sigma-convergence of Russian regions. These decompositions point to the geographical concentration of extractive activities in the Urals and of business services and of the public administration in the Moscow area as the main culprit for this lack of convergence. They also establish that despite reforms to equalize provisions of public goods across Russia, the social services sector of the public administration, education and health still do not have the expected equalizing impact on regional income.
- regional distribution dynamics, regional inequality decomposition, Russian regions, convergence
- JEL Classification:
- O47: Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth / Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity / Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- P25: Economic Systems / Socialist Systems and Transitional Economies / Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
- R11: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / General Regional Economics / Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12: Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics / General Regional Economics / Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity