- 1815-1973 (online)
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
Improving public sector efficiency for more inclusive growth in Latvia
Click to Access:
- Caroline Klein1, Robert W. R. Price
- Author Affiliations
- 1: OECD, France
- 01 Aug 2015
- Bibliographic information
This working paper explores avenues to improve public sector efficiency in Latvia, a catching-up and ageing economy where spending needs are large. Ensuring that spending allocated to core services (e.g. education, healthcare) is adequate to achieve convergence of policy outcomes to OECD upper standards is challenging. Efficiency gains in the tax system could bring additional revenues. The tax base should be expanded by reducing informality, strengthening tax administration and increasing property and environmentally related taxes, which are low by international standards. To reduce unemployment and income inequality, the tax-benefit system should also be revised as it is now relatively regressive and the tax wedge on low-income earners is high. Enhancing analytical, monitoring and assessment capacities should help to rein in wasteful expenditure and improve the prioritisation of spending. The reform of human resource management, public procurement, and state-local relations is also needed to deliver higher-quality and more cost-efficient public services.
- inequality, public procurement, budgetary framework, tax administration, fiscal policy
- JEL Classification:
- E62: Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics / Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook / Fiscal Policy
- H2: Public Economics / Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H5: Public Economics / National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
- H6: Public Economics / National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
- H7: Public Economics / State and Local Government ; Intergovernmental Relations
- H83: Public Economics / Miscellaneous Issues / Public Administration ; Public Sector Accounting and Audits