- 1815-1973 (online)
Working papers from the Economics Department of the OECD that cover the full range of the Department’s work including the economic situation, policy analysis and projections; fiscal policy, public expenditure and taxation; and structural issues including ageing, growth and productivity, migration, environment, human capital, housing, trade and investment, labour markets, regulatory reform, competition, health, and other issues.
The views expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of the governments of its member countries.
From "Clientelism" to a "Client-Centred Orientation"? The Challenge of Public Administration Reform in Russia
Click to Access:
- William Tompson
- 15 Jan 2007
- Bibliographic information
The inefficiency, corruption and lack of accountability that afflict public administration in Russia impose substantial direct costs on both entrepreneurs and ordinary citizens. This paper examines the major weaknesses of Russia’s public administration and assesses the government’s recently revised programme of administrative reform. It lays particular stress on the relationship between public bureaucracies and the larger institutional environment within which they operate, as well as on the need for far greater transparency of public bodies and stronger non-judicial means of redress for citizens wishing to challenge bureaucratic decisions. Many of the problems of Russia’s public administration are aggravated by the fact that the Russian state often tries to do too much: the paper therefore explores the link between administrative reform and the scope of state ownership and regulation.
- bureaucracy, public administration, transparency, corruption, public management, civil service, regulation, ombudsman, accountability, state ownership, nationalisation, state administration
- JEL Classification:
- H11: Public Economics / Structure and Scope of Government / Structure, Scope, and Performance of Government
- H79: Public Economics / State and Local Government ; Intergovernmental Relations / Other
- H82: Public Economics / Miscellaneous Issues / Governmental Property
- P3: Economic Systems / Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions